How to Make a Fruit Themed Picture Frame
Make this easy DIY fruit salad frame craft to display a fun Summer picture of family and friends or even of your garden.
This craft can be fun for all ages and would be perfect for a group activity for a classroom, club, birthday party or Summer picnic.
Supplies are reasonably priced and easy to get in bulk for a group or just for yourself.
The polymer clay fruit pieces are really cute and no two frames will be exactly alike.
Polymer Fruit Slices Confetti
Aren’t these little slices of fruit cute?
The brightly colored fruit is made from polymer clay and is packaged and ready to be used in creative ways.
The small bits of polymer that are made into fruit slice confetti are typically used as a fun mix-in for homemade slime or used for nail art decorations.
However, they are also perfect other DIY crafts including a fruit salad frame craft.
The multi-colored fruit slices add a pretty pop of color to the picture frame.
Polymer fruit slices can be purchased as a mix or separated by type of fruit.
My fruit is scattered randomly, but you could also form an organized pattern with the slices.
Either way your frame will be colorful and fun.
Paper Picture Frame
This craft starts with a ready to use paper picture frame that is budget friendly.
The frames are available in convenient packs with twine and mini clothespins, so you can easily add your own personal touches.
They are made from sturdy cardboard that is inexpensive, but look nice when you hang them up.
I used a white frame for the fruit salad frame to add to the light, summery look.
Any other color would be fine, too – black, natural or something colorful.
They typically come in sets of 10, 30 or 50 frames, so you can pick up however many you need.
It’s easy to slip your photo in through the opening at the top.
If you have a Cricut or other cutting machine, you can make and assemble your own picture frames.
However, these are very reasonably priced and it’s convenient to have the frames already put together and packaged with twine and clothespins.
Many of the frame packs include small clothespins and twine, which is convenient and a good value.
The mini clothespins can also be purchased separately in classic natural wood or in other colors.
There is no need for specialty glue for this project, since regular white school glue that dries clear works just fine.
And, of course, school glue is also very easy to clean up, if there are any spills.
Mix glue with a little bit of water in a small bowl or on a plate, so that you can use a paintbrush to apply it to the frame.
You’ll want to work in sections, so that you can apply the fruit slices while the glue is wet and sticky.
I scatter them randomly and then gently pat them down to make sure they made good contact with the glue covered frame.
Then repeat with additional sections until the whole thing is covered.
Leave a small area without hearts in the center or off to one side, so you’ll have a flat place to clip the clothespin.
A top coat of the glue is brushed on after everything is in place.
You can also use Mod Podge, instead of the glue and water mixture.
Tweezers are not absolutely necessary for this craft, but they make it easier to get your tiny fruit pieces positioned exactly where you want them.
If you are creating a pattern with the fruit, I recommend using tweezers.
If you are scattering them randomly, tweezers can help but aren’t required.
Pointed tweezers are best to pick up the little polymer and control where you are placing them.
If all you have are slanted eyebrow tweezers, they can work, too.
However, the pointed ones are better for this craft.
They are inexpensive and can get used for this and other DIY projects.
Where to Buy Craft Supplies Online
- AliExpress has a huge selection of jewelry making supplies at super low prices – incredibly low prices. Plan ahead when you order, since shipping can take longer than US based companies.
- Amazon also has a good selection of supplies and shipping can be very fast.
Fruit Salad Frame Craft
Supplies / Materials
Paper Picture Frame
Assorted Polymer Confetti Fruit Slices
White School Glue
Pointed Tweezers (optional)
1) Gather your supplies and make a general plan as to how you will arrange your fruit – scattered randomly or arranged in an organized pattern.
2) Pour glue and some water into a small bowl or plate and mix it together with the paintbrush to thin in out.
3) Use the paintbrush to paint a section of the paper frame with the thinned glue. Either sprinkle polymer fruit on top of the glue or carefully place it slice by slice. Gently press down with your fingers to make sure the hearts have good contact with the glue. Shake off any that didn’t stick. Fill in any gaps.
4) Repeat in sections until your frame is complete.
5) Glue a few pieces of fruit to your mini clothespin.
6) Let the glue set.
7) Paint a top coat of glue on top of the fruit. Let dry.
8) Add a photo and clip the frame to twine or a light string to display your fruit salad frame craft and your picture.
More from Mama Likes This
Take a look at my entertainment articles, so you can keep up with the latest TV, movie and book news.
Picture Frame Crafts
- Fruit Salad Frame
- Valentine Pom Pom Frame
- Valentine Heart Frame
- Glow in The Dark Frame
- Team Colors Frame
- Holiday Decoupage Frame
- Spirit Riding Free Friendship Frame
- Peppa Pig Printable Frame Craft
- Avocado Clip-on Earrings
- Avocado Hoop Earrings
- Citrus Fruit Bracelet
- Lemon Drop Earrings
- Pink Grapefruit Hoop Earrings
- Dragon Fruit Bracelet
- Dragon Fruit Hoop Earrings
- Pineapple Clip-on Earrings
- Apple Clip-on Earrings
- Fruit Salad Frame
- Polymer Fruit Gift Tag
- Easy Fruit Lover’s Heart Craft
- Clove Studded Oranges
Free Printable Activity Pages
Check out my free printables, when you are looking for fun activities to do at home.
Many are from Disney, Netflix and Shout Factory, so they feature movies, TV series and characters that your kids already know and love.
Some are educational, but others are just plain fun.
There are coloring pages, crafts, word puzzles, mazes, memory games and many other family friendly activities.
Check out the latest online deals, so you can save money and pick out some great products for yourself and your family.
- AliExpress for amazing prices on craft supplies and more
- Miss A $1 makeup, accessories and household goods
- Seven Sisters Scones home or work delivery scones
- Southside Market food gifts
- Wildgrain bread delivered
- Warby Parker Eyewear try before you buy prescription glasses
- Sunnydaze Decor to update your outdoor spaces
- Big Feet Pajama Co for matching family PJs
What will you buy first?