Washi Tape Wood Gift Tag Craft
The holiday tag is easy to make and, of course, adding a handmade touch to a present makes it extra nice.
You can make yours exactly like mine or you can get as creative as you’d like.
Change up the colors or come up with another creative way to add your own personal style to the gift tag craft.
Reusable Gift Tags
Holiday presents look so nice under the Christmas tree, but it is nicer when you can come up with gift wrapping ideas that can be reused.
You can make these durable wood gift tags now, so you can use them this year and in years to follow.
After your loved ones open their gifts, save the tags with your holiday gift wrapping supplies to use again.
A Christmas tree gift tag looks great, and it’s fun to have special reusable tags as part of your family holiday traditions.
These little holiday gift tags are covered with washi tape, which looks great and is less messy than paint.
It is less sticky than regular tape, so it is forgiving to work with.
If you put it on a little crooked, it can easily be moved into the right position.
I used glitter washi tape in holiday colors for my gift tags, but feel free to use whatever color you’d like.
You could also use a fun print washi tape, if that is more your style.
Wood Gift Tags
Unfinished wood gift tags are easy to use and they are more durable than a paper tag.
I used rectangular shaped tags with rounded edges, but there are other shapes available, too.
The rectangles work well, when you cover them with washi tape.
If you choose another shape, just be ready to do a little extra work trimming the tape to fit.
Just make sure you choose wood gift tags that already have holes drilled in them to make it easy to tie them to a package.
On the top of each washi tape Christmas tree is a letter bead with the first initial of the family member who will be getting a gift with this tag on it.
The initials on the DIY gift tags are made with small beads, the kind of beads that kids use to make friendship bracelets.
These beads are flat on two sides, so they are easy to glue to the wooden tag.
The squared sides of the beads are easy to glue on the flat surface of the wooden tag.
Feel free to choose whatever color or style of bead you want as a tree topper.
A metal stylus is an easy way to make a neat hole in the washi tape for your ribbon.
A stylus made for crafts or one that is for nail art doesn’t cost much, but really comes in handy.
I keep mine with my other crafting tools and end up using it quite a bit.
You can either get a single stylus with different sized balls on each end or you can get a set with a variety of sizes.
One stylus is all you need for this DIY project, but you may have fun using them for other things.
You can make this craft without tweezers, but it makes it easier to get your tree topper initial bead right where you want it.
Pointed tweezers are best to pick up tiny beads and get them positioned on the tag.
If all you have are slanted eyebrow tweezers, they can work, too.
However, the pointed ones are inexpensive and can get used for this and other DIY projects.
Regular white school glue is fine for this craft, since the bead on the top of the tree isn’t heavy.
A stronger craft glue would work well, too.
Just make sure you choose a glue that will dry clear, so your finished project looks nice.
Washi Christmas Tree Gift Tag Craft
Supplies / Materials
1) Gather your supplies and get a rough plan of how you’d like your tag to look.
2) Place a strip of washi tape down the center of the gift tag from top to bottom covering the hole in the wood. Trim off any excess tape with scissors.
3) Use a stylus to poke a hole through the washi tape.
4) Add additional strips of washi tape to cover the gift tag and trim off any excess.
5) Cut two triangle shaped pieces of washi tape for the tree. They should be roughly the same size, but don’t need to be exact. Stick them to the tag.
6) Cut a small rectangular piece of washi tape for the trunk and stick it in place.
7) Glue your letter bead to the top of the tree.
6) Let the glue dry and add a ribbon to the tag.
More from Mama Likes This
Take a look at my entertainment articles, so you can keep up with the latest TV, movie and book news.
Gift Tag Crafts
Free Printable Gift Tags
- Peppa Pig Christmas
- Peppa Pig All Occasion
- Zootopia English
- Zootopia Spanish
- Happy Holidays
- Christmas Ornaments
- Shaun The Sheep
- The Book of Life
- Monsters University
Printable Activity Pages
Check out my free printables, when you are looking for fun activities to do at home.
Some are educational, but others are just plain fun.
There are coloring pages, crafts, word puzzles, mazes, memory games and many other family friendly activities.
Check out the latest online deals, so you can save money and pick out some great products for yourself and your family.
- AliExpress for amazing prices on craft supplies and more
- Miss A $1 makeup, accessories and household goods
- Seven Sisters Scones home or work delivery scones
- Southside Market food gifts
- Wildgrain bread delivered
- Warby Parker Eyewear try before you buy prescription glasses
- Sunnydaze Decor to update your outdoor spaces
- Big Feet Pajama Co for matching family PJs
What will you buy first?