Valentine Gift Tag Craft with Polymer Hearts
Make this adorable wood Valentine gift tag decorated with red, pink and white polymer heart slices to give to someone special.
The craft is made with precut unfinished wood in the shape of a present with an attached ribbon bow.
Those cute little red, pink and white hearts are polymer clay confetti slices that come all together in a pack.
You can decorate your wood Valentine gift tag just like mine or you can get creative and place your polymer slices however you’d like.
The polymer bits are small, so tweezers are recommended to place them on the wood.
Hand eye coordination is needed, so this craft is best for bigger kids and adults.
A small child can still have fun making the craft with random heart placement instead of a precise pattern.
Polymer Confetti Heart Slices
Cute colorful polymer clay slices are a convenient material that is ready to be used in creative ways for crafts, jewelry making or nail art.
The little bits of polymer clay that are made into confetti are often used as a fun mix-in for homemade slime, so you may already be familiar with using them in that way.
The confetti is also perfect other DIY crafts including these Valentine’s Day gift tags.
The tiny red, pink and white hearts add a pretty pop of color to this craft.
This package included all three colors, but other heart styles and colors are available, too.
Wood Gift Tags
Unfinished wood blanks look great and are easy to use, so they are an excellent base material to use for crafting.
Adults and kids can get great results, when they craft with unfinished wood pieces.
The unfinished wood blanks are available in many different shapes and sizes in addition to the gift package shape that I used for this project.
Make sure you choose wood pieces that already have holes drilled in them to make it easy to string ribbon or twine through them.
Reusable Gift Tags
These wood gift tags do not need to end up in the trash, after they have been attached to a gift.
Simply save the tag for the next time you are wrapping a present for a loved one.
They look great and it’s fun to have special gift tags as part of your family gifting traditions.
These tags are cute enough that you may want to use them as Valentine’s Day decorations at home or in your office or classroom.
I use the pointed tweezers that I keep with my craft supplies often.
They are especially helpful for this craft, since they make it easy to handle the tiny polymer hearts.
Pointed tweezers can be used to pick up each little heart and place it where you want it on the package.
If you are placing your hearts like mine or in another pattern, tweezers help you get a finished gift that looks great.
Another option is to scatter the hearts randomly on the wood, which can be done without tweezers.
White School Glue
There is no need for specialty glue for this project, since regular white school glue that dries clear works just fine.
And, of course, school glue is also very easy to clean up, if there are any spills.
Mix glue with a little bit of water in a small bowl or on a plate, so that you can use a paintbrush to apply it to the wood.
You’ll want to work in sections painting glue on part of the wood gift piece and affixing the hearts while the glue is wet.
Then repeat with additional sections until the whole thing is covered.
I did the pink bow first and followed with the red ribbon and white box.
A top coat of the glue is brushed on after everything is in place.
You can also use Mod Podge, instead of the glue and water mixture.
Ribbon or Twine
Many of the unfinished wood packages include twine for hanging, which is great.
If you prefer ribbon, a narrow 1/8″ ribbon can be used, too.
You can go for a natural look or choose a pink, red or white to match the colors of the tiny hearts.
Unfinished Wood Valentine Gift Tag Craft
Supplies / Materials
1) Gather your supplies and plan how you want to decorate the unfinished wood gift. Make yours just like mine or change the arrangement of the colored hearts.
2) Pour glue and some water into a small bowl and mix it together with the paintbrush to thin in out.
3) Use the paintbrush to paint a section of the wood piece with the thinned glue and use the tweezers to put the polymer hearts in place. I did all of the pink first, followed by the red and then the white.
4) Repeat until your design is complete, painting on more glue as needed.
5) Let the glue dry.
6) Paint a top coat of glue on top of the heart slices. Let dry.
7) Hang with twine or ribbon.
More from Mama Likes This
Take a look at my entertainment articles, so you can keep up with the latest TV, movie and book news.
Gift Tag Crafts
- Fruit Gift Tag
- Flower Gift Tags
- Wood Tag with Buttons and Beads
- Team Colors Gift Tag
- Unfinished Wood Valentine Gift Tag
- Washi & Beads Initial Gift Tag
- Washi Christmas Tree Gift Tag
Free Printable Gift Tags
- Peppa Pig Christmas
- Peppa Pig All Occasion
- Zootopia English
- Zootopia Spanish
- Happy Holidays
- Christmas Ornaments
- Shaun The Sheep
- The Book of Life
- Monsters University
Valentine’s Day Crafts
- Wood Pom Pom Heart
- Wood Gift Tag Craft
- Valentine Pom Pom Frame
- Valentine Polymer Heart Frame
- Pom Pom Headband
- Valentine Wood Earrings
- Fizzy Bath Salts
- Super Star Heart Craft
- Flower Heart Craft
- Fruit Heart Craft
- Sweet Heart Craft
- Sugru Heart Mug
- Friendship Bracelet
- Red and White Layered Candle
Free Printable Valentines
- Nutcracker Valentines
- My Dad The Bounty Hunter
- My Little Pony
- Disney 101 Dalmatians Valentines
- Big Hero 6 Valentines
- The Croods Valentines
- Minnie Mouse Valentines
- Ferdinand Valentines
- Game of Thrones Valentines
- Dinotrux Valentines
- How to Train Your Dragon Valentines
- Sonic The Hedgehog Valentines
- Land Before Time Valentines
- Clarence Valentines
Unfinished Wood Crafts
- Rainbow Painted Hearts
- Rainbow Painted Earrings
- Valentine Earrings
- Patriotic Painted Earrings
- Valentine Gift Tag
- Polymer Fruit Gift Tag
- Super Star Heart
- Sweet Heart
- Fruit Lovers Heart
- Flower Heart
- Christmas Bell
- Rustic Bell
- Pom Pom Heart
- Team Colors Gift Tag
- Initial Gift Tag
- Washi Christmas Tree Gift Tag
Free Printable Activity Pages
Check out my free printables, when you are looking for fun activities to do at home.
Some are educational, but others are just plain fun.
There are coloring pages, crafts, word puzzles, mazes, memory games and many other family friendly activities.
Check out the latest online deals, so you can save money and pick out some great products for yourself and your family.
- AliExpress for amazing prices on craft supplies and more
- Miss A $1 makeup, accessories and household goods
- Seven Sisters Scones home or work delivery scones
- Southside Market food gifts
- Wildgrain bread delivered
- Warby Parker Eyewear try before you buy prescription glasses
- Sunnydaze Decor to update your outdoor spaces
- Big Feet Pajama Co for matching family PJs
What will you buy first?